Tuesday 8 January 2019

Unusual Leica Enlarger accessory-two turn up at once!

One of the more unusual Leica accessories associated with the Enlarger range is the light cover for 32 mm columns which appears to have surfaced under the retail code of  YOOSV added to VIWOO which is the '40 inch' upright. This part is in the 1936 General Catalogue on page 78  by which date the Focomat was on the market. I am unable to trace any mention in the 1933 edition.

I suggest that the listing of such an item may well follow the experience of early users of the enlarger range who found that reflections from a polished enlarger column were printing into their results. We all know that this can be an issue with many makes of enlarger. Chrome is probably the worst choice of finish here. I have mentioned in past Blogs that a finish with black satin aerosol spray paint can be very long lasting and hide the chrome effectively. It can also be removed if wished.

I find I have two of these items illustrated below and had doubts as to their authenticity until I found the reference in the Catalogue. Despite their age of 80 or so years the black felt and spring steel still works well. I have been unable to trace a similar item for the 40 mm column and of course the guide rail on the Valoy 11 prohibits such a fitting. A small but interesting part of Leitz history.


No comments:

Post a Comment